sábado, 9 de septiembre de 2017

Book review: Shadow and Bone (Reseña en ingles)

shadow_bone_sketch_castle

  • Title: Shadow and Bone.
  • Author: Leigh Bardugo.
  • Pages: 308.
  • Genres: Fantasy, young adult...
  • Saga/series: Yes, this is the first book of the Shadow and Bone series. There are 3 books (not including the little stories that go in between).

Synopsis

"'I've been waiting for you a long time, Alina,' he said. 'You and I are going to change the world.'
The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.
Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the world of the kingdom's magical elite - the Grisha. Could she be the key to setting Ravka free?
The Darkling, a man of seductive charm and terrifying power. If Alina is to fulfil her destiny, she must unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.
But what of Mal, Alina's childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can't she ever quite forget about him?


 Review

This book is written in first person, it's in Alina's point of view. Apart from the Before and After chapters, which are in third person.
I have to say that I absolutely love this book: I love the names (even though most of them seem to be Russian related), I love the characters, the descriptions are great (they aren't too detailed to the point where you want to fall asleep because the author describes one thing excessively).
One thing that bothered me the slightest bit is the cover of the book. The next books in the series have the amplifiers on the covers: the ice dragon, Rusalye, and the fire bird. Whereas Shadow and Bone has the Little Palace on the cover and after having read the book, I would have liked for there to have been a stag, Morozova's stag, on the cover of the book. Another thing that bothered me is that you're kind of just "thrown" into the world, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I would have liked for a few things to have been explained a bit better.

 

"“Why can a Grisha possess but one amplifier? I will answer this question instead: What is infinite? The universe and the greed of men.”


Alina Starkov

I really like Alina, I felt that I could connect to her (because of this fact, I like that the book is in her point of view). At the beginning of the book, she's just an ordinary girl with a sassy attitude, but then she discovers that she is Grisha. At first the transition from having no powers to all of a sudden having them and having the "weight" (a lot is expected of her) on her shoulders is tough on Alina, but she ploughs her way through her problems.

 

The Darkling

I really like the Darkling even though he is the villain, I feel that he is still human although he makes himself seem like a monster. At times, he is cruel but with how he was brought up and the fact that he is ancient (he has lived for a very long time, even though he looks young), I suppose it makes sense that he doesn't care much for the consequences to the people that he doesn't care for. He has a goal in mind, and he will stop at nothing until he has achieved it.

 

Mal (Malyen Oretsev)

I wasn't too sure what to think of Mal, at first he seemed like a bit of a jerk, but in the end he is a good guy. He is an excellent tracker, and this skill helps him and Alina along the way.

 

Genya

Even though Genya isn't a main character, I'd like to mention her anyway because I like her. I like her personality, she's outgoing and confident in herself. I also like the fact that she's gorgeous but she only has eyes for David, a Fabrikator who seems to only be interested in his tools and his workshop.
"“Did you miss me, Alina? Did you miss me when you were gone?"
"Every day," I said hoarsely.
"I missed you every hour. And you know what the worst part was? It caught me completely by surprise. I'd catch myself walking around to find you, not for any reason, just out of habit, because I'd seen something I wanted to tell you about, or because I just wanted to hear your voice. And then I'd realise that you weren't there anymore, and every time, every single time, it was like having the wind knocked out of me. I've risked my life for you. I've walked half the length of Ravka for you, and I'd do it again and again and again just to be with you, just to starve with you and freeze with you and hear you complain about hard cheese every day. So don't tell me we don't belong together," he said fiercely. He was very close now, and my heart was suddenly hammering in my chest. "I'm sorry it took me so long to see you, Alina. But I see you now.”
 
The love in this book is realistic, it has it's ups and downs but in the end, all ends well.


Ultimately I love Leigh Bardugo's writing in this book, it keeps you hooked until the end of the book and when you get to it, you're impatient to read the next book.

 

"“The Darkling slumped back in his chair. “Fine,” he said with a weary shrug. “Make me your villain.” 

Rating


I give this book a 5.


Admi Megs

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario